Smoked Meat
  "Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire..." -- Exodus 12:8
 

Friday, December 09, 2005

Friday Lunch

I love Fridays. And not just because the work-week is done. Fridays are a great day for food. While I was a student at Emmaus every Friday was either pizza or cheeseburgers followed by chocolate chip cookies for dessert. I have to admit that I spent many a 11:00 class pining away for lunch when I should have been paying attention to Church History. I can still find sketches of pizza and burgers mixed in with my notes.

Now that I am gainfully employed, Friday lunches are still something I look forward to. The other four days of the week bring the typical cold-cut sandwich or leftovers. But Fridays is when we round up the gang and go out for lunch. Mexican is a popular choice, either Tasty Tacos or El Rodeo. Sometimes we do fastfood like Wendy's or Culvers.

Today I was happy because we went to Cactus Bob's. It's a cozy little BBQ joint in Johnston that opened not too long ago. Perhaps some other time I will put my star ratings up for it. I usually get the brisket sandwich and two sides for $6.50. It is tasty and a great value.

However, today I would like to comment on something else interesting besides the food. As we pulled into the restaurant we spotted a pickup truck pulling in ahead of us. In the back of the truck were like five frozen-stiff deer. That is amusing enough in and of itself, but the truck proceeded to back into a spot right in front of Cactus Bob's, so that the entire restaurant was treated to the sight of bloody frozen deer in the back of the truck.

As we were getting a good laugh at this, out stepped the driver and his passenger. Lo and behold if it wasn't a modern-day Davey Crockett and his sidekick. The driver was wearing a skunk hat, and his friend had a bib-overalls and a bushy beard. I don't know about you, but if I see guys like this in front of me, I know I'm at the right place for some good BBQ.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tristan Guthrie said...

Did you really take these pictures or is this some internet hoax?

1:26 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

No hoax here...the account above is 100% legit. I used the camera on my cell phone. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home