Smoked Meat
  "Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire..." -- Exodus 12:8
 

Thursday, July 13, 2006

A Knock on the Door (pt. 3)

Talking to the phone company wasn't the only thing Yolanda failed to do in a speedy manner. One Sunday evening, we returned home after a weekend away. As we were settling into bed, we were jolted by a familiar "ding-dong-ding-dong." I went to the door, grumbling to myself about what they could possibly want, and determined to let them have a piece of my mind. It was 10:30 at night--much to late to be ringing the doorbell.

"Can we have a candle?" the kids asked. After a little more inquiry, I discovered that their power had been shut-off, since they never had it switched over to their name. Fortunately it was May, and the power company was coming the next day. Since they were sitting in a dark house back there, I decided it wasn't the best time to get upset.

Then there was the time the fifteen-year-old son and his cousin came over and asked to borrow a rake. "Sure", my wife said. "Why don't you come through to the garage and I'll grab one for you." On the way through the house, they asked if we had a TV and VCR they could borrow too. An old phone? Sure. Candle? Rake? No problem. TV and VCR? I don't think so.

It's easy to show love to people who appreciate it. When you don't even get a "thank you" it's not so easy. So I couldn't help but begin to feel like "Mr. Wilson" from the "Dennis the Menace" comic strip. Not as old, but just as grumpy.

(to be continued…)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home