Smoked Meat
  "Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire..." -- Exodus 12:8
 

Friday, June 23, 2006

Friday Musings

It's a bird…it's a plane…it's another movie!
Those of you who know me well (as in family), know that I was a bit of a Superman nut as a little kid. The 1978 movie is one of the first that I can remember watching (on TV--not in the theaters). I loved it all--the flying, the laser vision, the rescuing, and the great music which I ran around humming, with a blanket-as-a-cape tucked into my t-shirt. Unfortunately, there are embarassing home movies to prove all this. I was a little overboard, but I was also 5 years old.

After the first couple movies, the franchise quickly went downhill. Thankfully I don't have any memories of films III and IV. I grew up and moved on. So when I heard they were coming out with a new Superman franchise, the skeptic in me quickly decided it wouldn't be any good. There's only one Christopher Reeve.

However I have discovered a couple pieces of info which have perked the interest of my inner child. Firstly, this movie is supposed to follow the original two films, and so it isn't trying to recreate everything from scratch (even though the scenery has been updated for the 21st century). From that standpoint, it sounds like both a tribute to the classic films and a continuation of the story. More importantly, it is getting very good reviews so far. So I have to admit: I'm excited to see it. But I promise to stay away from the capes this time.

How to find this blog from Google
It is interesting to discover the different ways people stumble upon this blog via Google. Here are few recent ones:

What are the goliaths in your life, sermon
The #2 result. Somehow, I don't think this guy found what he was looking for.

tristan guthrie
Page 3. It would be higher if he left more comments here.

steve deace des moines
#1 result. Steve: if you are reading this, leave me a comment. And good job on the new radio show as well.

"keith murphy" des moines
Page 1. Right below Keith's new blog.

Pretty cool, although I'm pretty sure that I haven't written much yet that is worthy of finding. Give me time.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friday!!!
It does look like a good movie. Jesse and I were talking about going to it at the IMAX theater. If we do i'll give you a call.

BTW. Do you or did you listen to the Steve Deace show before it was on WHO. I have been listening to it on and off. I like his view on some topics.

later.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

I listened to Deace all the time when he was on KXNO for sports. I agree--he is an interesting guy. Not afraid to get into topics which might be controversial in today's politically correct climate.

Give me a call if you come down. Not sure if it would work out to go along, but it would be fun.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Tristan Guthrie said...

I clicked on the link to my name (like any good narcissist would) and I don't see how you would find your site? Anyway, how did you find out how people are getting to your site. Awkward.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

When you click the link, look at the third one down...it should be "Smoked Meat". However, Google rankings do change so that could be the case. It is there this morning when I look at it.

The way you find out how people are getting to your page is through Site Meter. Go to the "Referrals" page there. You can click any of the links there to see the page that the visitor jumped from to your site.

6:21 AM  
Blogger HopiQ said...

Alan, this is completely superfluous, but you brought up the subject of Superman...when we were kids, I thought you looked like a little blond Superman with that curl in the middle of your forehead! Made me smile to think of it today.

Oh, and I found you through Jenica and Andy's site.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

Hey Hope, good to hear from ya. Good job on your site--you are quite the prolific blogger.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alan email me asap. I need something from you.

Brian.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home