Smoked Meat
  "Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire..." -- Exodus 12:8
 

Friday, January 12, 2007

Friday Musings

Blog Update
As I mentioned in my last post, this site has been pretty neglected lately. I dusted off my sidebar and added some folks that have been blogging and have already linked to me: Jenny, Marcie (& Seth), Voni, and Hope.

ISU Basketball Is Back
Coming into the year, my expectations (and excitement) for Cyclone basketball couldn't have been much lower. After all, McDermott wasn't left with much in the cupboard to work with and he would be coaching a group of guys who were just learning his system and playing together for the first time. The non-conference schedule went pretty much according to script with disappointing losses to Drake, UNI, and Iowa. So the 2-0 start in the Big 12 comes as a pleasant surprise. The comeback win on the road at Missouri seems to have been the jolt needed to get apathetic fans back on the bandwagon. I'm not going crazy here--an NIT berth would be a good accomplishment for this team. But it's nice to have a well-coached team that is fun to watch again.

The Illusionist
Newly released on DVD this week, The Illusionist is a fictional story set in early 20th century Vienna. Edward Norton plays the lead role of Eisenheim the magician, who unexpectedly finds his childhood sweetheart (Jessica Biel) after many years apart. A member of high-society, she is engaged against her will to the cruel crown prince when tragedy befalls her. The film deftly blends mystery and romance as we try to piece together the clues of her death and the key to Eisenheim's greatest trick. Even though I guessed the conclusion beforehand, the film still kept me engaged throughout. My rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger brookshanes said...

Although I am not and never will be a huge Cy fan, I appreciate the reading and updates on the 2nd best team in the state. :)

I also appreciate the positive review of The Illusionist; I will probably rent it solely on your prescription.

Cheers and welcome back on the railway... Now it's my turn to get back on track.

hey how's that baby coming along? :)

11:34 AM  
Blogger Mrs.A said...

Yea, I'm finally a link on somebody's blog now!! :)

Merlin actually watched the Missouri game and (*gasp*) cheered for the Cyc's! Shh - don't tell Bret and Adam!

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey alan! Hope you and the wife and little one are doing well!! :)

8:01 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

Brooks: the little one is doing great--thanks for asking. She will be walking soon which will make her even more dangerous than she is now.

Jenny: Merlin's secret is safe with me.

inhisgrip: Thanks for stopping by!

9:06 PM  
Blogger voni said...

So honored to be on your side bar:)

6:47 AM  
Blogger HopiQ said...

I have to admit I haven't visited in awhile...but here I am. :) Thanks for the link.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home