Smoked Meat
  "Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire..." -- Exodus 12:8
 

Monday, October 15, 2007

Blogging: My Top Three Words of Advice

I've noticed an uptick in the number of people I know who are trying out blogging for the first time. Here are my top three words of advice for you.

1. You don't have to post every day.
At first, this is a hard compulsion to fight off. You're all giddy with excitement and want to make everyone happy by writing something as often as possible. But posting too much will just make you burn out quicker and drop your blog like a bad habit. Better to post something interesting every once in a while than to write stuff that you don't like.

2. Learn to link like a pro.
You just found something really neat on someone else's blog that you want to share. Resist the urge to copy-and-paste the website address into a blog post like this:

http://smokedmeat.blogspot.com/

Instead, make your link an official first-class citizen of the web. Here's the template:

<a href="http://smokedmeat.blogspot.com">make your link an official first-class citizen</a>

3. Customize your layout.
Google is your friend here. Do a search for "blogger templates". Read through the Blogger tutorial. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

OK, that's it. Anyone else have good words of advice for the beginners?

4 Comments:

Blogger jenica said...

No, you don't have to post every day, but I'd say once a week is good or people might lose interest... (hint hint your last post was a month ago!)

Instead of html, blogger has a link upload (next to the photo upload).

I agree on the template thing.

I'd also say don't write too much in one post making it a tedious task for the reader. That's probably just my opinion though.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

Jenica -- Good tips.

And no hinting needed. I already know I don't post enough. But I figure if I set the bar really low (once a month), then I can still make it over it. :)

8:35 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Another great tip is www.bloglines.com This is a site where you can enter all the blogs you visit and it will tell you which ones have posted recently so you don't have to click through everyone's blogs. That is a tedious task!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Shaun Groves said...

The currency of the blogosphere is links. Link to what you like and they'll link back. Win - win.

That's how I found this blog, which I now link to.

-Shaun
Shlog.com

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home