Smoked Meat
  "Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire..." -- Exodus 12:8
 

Thursday, December 29, 2005

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

While in Cedar Falls for a couple days earlier this week, I finally saw The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Having read all the books (though it was a long time ago), I was anxious to see how well CS Lewis' story would translate to the big screen.

The success of Peter Jackson's movies undoubtedly provided the impetus to put Narnia on film, and it is tempting to try compare this movie to Lord of the Rings. But that would be a bit unfair. First, because Jackson's movies were so well crafted and set the bar so high that it will be almost impossible for future efforts to match. Second, because Lewis was telling a different type of tale. Narnia is aimed much more at children. They are the chief protagonists. There are talking animals and characters from fairy-tales. It is the kind of story you could read to your kids at bedtime. Tolkein, on the other hand, was writing a story with greater depth, detail, and darkness. Not necessarily material that is appreciated by youngsters (although I read him when I was eight or so and still loved it).

So back to the movie. I thought it was an enjoyable picture if you take it on its own terms. It tells a wonderful story with a gospel allegory at its heart. The computer generated animals are well done--especially Aslan. The witch is cold and calculating. There are light-hearted moments, as well as tense ones. The acting is good--especially the young girl who plays Lucy. However, I wasn't as drawn in to the story as I expected to be--though I'm not sure why. This may be because I'm older than when I first read the book or because it didn't have the same sense of danger as the LOTR movies. Maybe I should go back and read the books again.

My favorite moments were not so much the battles but the quieter scenes when we got a glimpse of the bigger world of Narnia. Near the end of the movie we see Lucy and Tumnus standing at a balcony watching Aslan depart along the seaside. Tumnus tells Lucy not to cry--Aslan will be back again when the need is greatest. I couldn't help but be reminded of the fact that we too are waiting for the return of our Saviour--the Lion of Judah who will return again to the world he created and restore it to its former glory.

My rating: 3.5 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home