Smoked Meat
  "Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire..." -- Exodus 12:8
 

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

True BBQ

I realized today that it has been far too long since I have written about the topic this blog is named after: smoked meat. And I have a pet-peeve of mine that I have to get out in the open. It is about the incorrect usage of the term "Barbeque", or as it is often termed in shorthand usage: "BBQ". The travesty I speak of is to refer to "grilling" as "BBQ". These are two distinct culinary arts which should not be confused.

Grilling is the method used in most backyards to make hot-dogs, brats, hamburgers, or steaks. It involves high temperatures, meat placed directly over the flame, and short cooking times. Sometimes, chicken wings or ribs might be prepared in this fashion while basting them with barbeque-flavored sauce, but this still does not make it a BBQ. A grill looks like this:


BBQ is characterized by real smoke, low temperatures, long cooking times, and indirect heat. The meat is carefully prepared beforehand by using the right rub, or perhaps even a brine. It is an all-day process, and used to prepare delicacies like brisket, pork shoulder, turkey or ribs. Barbeque happens on a smoker like this:
or


Just wanted to clear that up lest there be any confusion in the minds of my readers. Even looking at pictures of smokers is enough to cause my mouth to start watering and my mind to start plotting the next occasion when I will fire mine up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tristan Guthrie said...

I just learned that my neighbor, and friend from church, has two smokers. He has a big one (like the one on the right) and a smaller one (like yours). He has offered to let me borrow the smaller one anytime. So, it looks like I might join the ranks of smoking goodness. Don't be surprised if I call you for some tips.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

The force is strong in this one...I can feel it.

Welcome, my young padywan.

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home