Smoked Meat
  "Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire..." -- Exodus 12:8
 

Friday, February 03, 2006

Friday Musings

First Anniversary
Tomorrow will mark one year of marriage for my wife and me. What a quick 365 days! From the rehearsal dinner, bachelor party, wedding, honeymoon, summer trips, pregnancy(!), painting the house, and holidays to today. And all the amazing moments in between. In all these experiences, from the exciting to the ordinary, we have been more than blessed by the goodness of God. I truly couldn't ask for more, and look forward to all the years together ahead of us.

Super Bowl
Ok, I enjoy the big game as much as the next fellow. But does anyone else get a little sick of the hype? Do we need to count down every Super Bowl ever played on ESPN? Do we need all the newspaper articles previewing the commercials? Do we need to hear every person's opinion on who the winner will be? Especially clueless celebrities? No. And for the most part all the hype is just that. Rarely does the game live up to the billing. Sure, I still enjoy the food, the parties, and the (ahem) game. But let's not give "Super Sunday" holiday status yet. The best sporting event of the year is still the NCAA tournament. I'll post more on that when March rolls around.

Those Crazy Hawks
Speaking of "March Situations" -- Steve Alford is finally earning his coaching money this year. I've been waiting, waiting, waiting for the customary mid-year conference lull. But with the win over Purdue earlier this week, the Hawks made a statement that they're here to play. I'm not ready to anoint them regular-season Big 10 champs, but they're in the mix. That's more than I can say for my Clones right now.

Welcome Visitors
If this is your first stop to my blog, don't get your hopes up too high. You'll find anything from theology to sports to BBQ here. In other words, whatever I feel like writing. If you want to catch up on my review of Who's Afraid of the Holy Spirit, here are the links to the previous posts. I try to post to the series on a weekly basis.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

If you're sick of wasting time at Blockbuster, read my review of Netflix.

If you want to read a blog that is funnier than mine, then read Tristan's article about couple dating.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I'm cheering for the Seahawks and Seneca Wallace, but I think the Steelers will win 20-17. Not that you needed another prediction or anything.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Tristan Guthrie said...

Aaaaahhh...Friday musings.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Tristan Guthrie said...

Some quick thoughts:

The hype: I understand what you're saying, but I can't help but think that all that hype wouldn't be problem if the Bears were in the big game. Also, I felt the same way leading up to the Texas vs. USC game this year and that is the first game in a LONG time that has lived up to all the hype (actually all the NCAA bowl games were pretty good). But I'm with ya, you can't compare anything to the first couple days of the tourney.

Alford: As a Hawk fan I am really struggling with this season. I just want Alford to go away. This is his best season so far and I don't see it going anywhere. We'll probably make it to the 2nd round of the tourney but that's it. And we celebrate that? Like that's good? Isn't that what Davis got fired for? I don't even want to think about what the Hawks will be like next year. Alford s neither hot nor cold so I spew him out of my mouth.

Smoked Meat: For the record, I much prefer this blog over you're last one (can't even remember the name). I feel like there is a lot more freedom, in you writing and in my commenting (I don't have to be afraid that I might unmask you). When you have that freedom you do good things.


P.S. Happy Anniversary goes without saying.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home