Smoked Meat
  "Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire..." -- Exodus 12:8
 

Friday, March 03, 2006

Friday Musings

David Crowder & Third Day
Sunday night Lauren and I watched these two bands play in Ames. (Thanks for the tickets Nate!) Going into the show, I had a couple thoughts. I was excited to see David Crowder for the first time. And I wasn't quite sure how Third Day would be. Don't get me wrong--I like Third Day, especially the older stuff. But it seems they dropped off a bit on their more recent efforts and I haven't found myself listening to them for a while. Turns out there was nothing to worry about--it was an *awesome* concert from both of them. Third Day may be older, more mainstream, and less original than when I first saw them in 1996, but hearing them play favorites like "Consuming Fire" and "Thief" took me right back. The crowd was great, and singing "Blessed Assurance" with 2500+ people gave me goosebumps. You can read Mark's glowing summary of the night here, where he quotes Mac as saying: "This wasn't the biggest night of the tour, but it was definitely the best." More pictures here.

Hoosiers
My wife and I watched this classic last night. I've seen it many times, but it has been a while. It is the greatest sports movie ever made. And it makes me want to go out and play basketball immediately after viewing. Something else I appreciated last night were all the beautifully scenic, nostalgic shots of rural Indiana. Which reminds me of Iowa and how much I enjoyed growing up on a farm and shooting hoops against the side of the shed. I know, it's cheesy, but I don't care.

American Idol
This is the top search on Technorati.com right now. We saw it for the first time this season on Tuesday and didn't think the women were a very strong group of singers at all. And some were just flat-out annoying. Why do they keep singing old songs like "Wind Beneath My Wings"? Obviously Simon was dishing out the criticism pretty hard. I'm not a big fan of the show, just curious on how many hits this will get me.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would listen to their new stuff. I've never been disappointed with anything that they have put out. Amazingly they seem to be able to remain sincere in both their lyrics. One of the idiosyncratic distinctions that distinguishes them from others is their consisten use of SPECIFIC BIBLICAL REFRENCE and utilization of THE NAME OF JESUS. There are many groups that allude to Christ and Biblical Christianity with no specific reference. It's something that I've appreciated.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home