Smoked Meat
  "Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire..." -- Exodus 12:8
 

Friday, February 17, 2006

Friday Musings

Snow Day
After 63 degrees a couple days ago, we had real winter return to Iowa yesterday. With ice, snow, and cold. I decided to take the day off since it will probably be the closest thing we have to a "snow day" this year. It was nice to spend time with Lauren at home doing pretty much nothing.

A Good Day for Chili
We are having a chili-cookoff at work today, so I also spent the afternoon yesterday concocting my entry. I sampled a few bites, but the true test of a chili comes when you eat a whole bowl. My first impression was that it wasn't spicy enough, but settling overnight will change the taste also. If I'm happy with it, I may post the recipe here. One thing I am afraid of: work could be a dangerous place this afternoon due to so many partaking of the cold-weather cuisine.

Hero
Here's an overlooked DVD recommendation for you: Hero. It is a Chinese movie, and as such you have to live with either overdubbing or subtitles. But the effort is worthwhile and you will find an intriguing story, breathtaking scenery, stylized martial arts, and a wonderful score. For me to put a film into the highest tier (among my favorites), I have to watch it a couple times and still think it is great. This is one of those films for me. One thing to remember though: the story is a Chinese legend told through a narrative framework. As such, the martial arts scenes are idealized and not meant to be realistic. My rating: 5 stars.

Still a Hoosier at Heart?
It is telling that in spite of Alford's best season ever at Iowa, most Hawk fans still don't like the guy. And so here they sit, atop the Big 10 standings, and the talk is whether he will go to Indiana. This isn't unusual for successful coaches, but the twist is that most Iowa fans want him to go. With Davis stepping down yesterday, I think things are falling into place for that to happen. My prediction is that if Indiana offers him the job, he takes it. And Iowa fans won't be disappointed.

Another Loss at Hilton
Do we even need to talk about ISU anymore this year? I don't think so. They are imploding from within right now, with plenty of blame to go around. Blalock made news Wednesday by calling out the post players. And with 5 total rebounds they deserved it. But Will and the rest of the team have played lousy enough not to be pointing blame. Wayne has his work cut out for him, because right now this season is going down in flames.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Tristan Guthrie said...

Hero - I agree with this pick. Good movie. The first time I watched it was at Clarkson's house. Were you there?

Davis - I could go on and on about this one. Hoosier fans are morons. In my opinion, Davis is as good a coach as their gonna get. He took them to the national championship in his second year. I think you nailed it as far as how Hawk fans feel. I hope they do get Alford and then they'll see what sub-par coaching really is.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

I think you are right--Davis is a good coach. But Indiana has been struggling also--not sure why.

Can't remember watching Hero at Kyle's house, though I may have.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My comments on your comments...

If Davis could sit in his chair at courtside during the Iowa game he should have been there. I think the pressure has gotten to him.

Blalock should NOT have called out ISU's big guys. He is a fellow player and a teamate, not a coach. When you've got young guys that are struggling it creates dissension and discord by berating them in the media. You can yell and scream all you want in the locker room, which it sounds like Stinson did, but you can't go outside and broadcast your teamate's incompetancy to the rest of the world that already knows it. It was a 21 year old guy caught up in the heat of the moment and he shouldn't have said. The bigs weren't blasting Blalock when he missed the front end of game clinching one and one's...

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home