Smoked Meat
  "Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire..." -- Exodus 12:8
 

Friday, February 24, 2006

Friday Musings

Google for Your Cell
I just found a cool use of Google for cell-phone users. Wondering about the forecast? Just text-message "weather" + your zip code to "GOOGL" (46645) and you'll get a message back with the 3-day weather prediction. Or maybe you want to know what time the latest movie is playing. Just send "glory road" (or whatever you want to watch) + your zip and get back a listing of theaters and showtimes. Click the link for more cool examples.

Waiting
We are now at T-minus 13 days and counting until the due date. You would think that after 9 months, a couple more weeks would be a breeze. Yet I still feel like a kid waiting for his birthday and asking his mom repeatedly "how much longer?". Lauren is growing more uncomfortable, but doing as well as could be expected for being ready to give birth.

Favorite Translation?
Over on the EBCAlumni.net website there is a poll going on now, namely "Which Bible translation do you prefer?". The current breakdown is shown at right.

The NAS has a commanding lead right now, probably due to its precise word-for-word rendering. Good choice, but I find it a bit clunky for general reading, and so my vote goes to the NIV. Of course when its time to do serious exegetical work, its time to pull out the Greek.

One version that I see missing from the list is the free NET Bible, which I have done some reading of online. From what I can see, the translators notes are awesome and provide a lot of very valuable insight on why a particular rendering was chosen. I think I need to order myself a hard-copy at some point, and it could become my version of choice.

There are also a couple inclusions in the list that I would not classify as translation, particularly "The Message" which is more of an interpretive work or loose commentary. I'm a little scared that it has 2 votes. Anyone care to chime in here on what their favorite version is, and why?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Tristan Guthrie said...

Alan,
You definitely need to step it up and just buy the hard copy version of the NET Bible. They just released the official first edition last year. Its well worth the purchase in my opinion.

I'm with you. I don't get too caught up in the Bible version debate because when I really want to study something I use several versions alongside the original text (Hebrew/Greek). But I do notice that I cringe a little when I hear a translation that doesn't match up with my good ole NASB.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

I know, I need to stop being a tightwad and order a NET Bible.

What's your take on "The Message"? I don't have a problem with it per se, but it seems a lot of people might be pulled in thinking it is a legit translation instead of one man's interpretation.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

Thanks for the input Brian. I haven't heard much about the HCSB or ISV, but will have to check into them.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Tyson said...

the thing that annoyed me about the survey is that it ignores the fact that different translations serve different purposes. it's apples, and oranges...and some other fruits. i like the teach from the NET because it's very readable and it confronts kids with a different text than what they might be used to (in familiar passages).
if i could have i would have voted for everything except the kjv.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home