Smoked Meat
  "Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire..." -- Exodus 12:8
 

Thursday, October 25, 2007

My "One Sentence" Journal


I started an experiment of sorts this past May.

I had read somewhere on the web (where else?) about an idea for a journal that intrigued me. There are many of us who like the concept of keeping a record of our lives, something to look back on and see what was happening at a certain point. But the execution of this task, though well-intentioned, is too much to keep up with. Life is busy, and when two or three days sneak by without a word written, our momentum vanishes and the endeavor is abandoned all-together.

So when I stumbled across the idea for a one-sentence-per-day journal, it sparked my interest. Every day, you write one (and only one) thought. Something that captures an event, a memory, or just the routines of life. Since this only takes a minute or two, there's no excuse not to do it. That doesn't mean you never forget, but when you do, catchup is easy. Needless to say, I'm still doing this. There's something addictive about it, and I like the idea that five years from now, I can see what I was doing on October 25, 2007. It's a way to "number our days" and realize that God is doing something every day.

I use Google Notebook, which is a widget on my personalized Google homepage. A real notebook works fine too. The key is having something that is close-at-hand and in a place where you won't forget to do it. It needs to be a part of your daily routine.

Here are a few examples from the past few months:

June 1, 2007. An uneventful Friday evening.

July 17, 2007. We made a trip to the library for baby-name books, then we got serious and picked one out...we think.

August 25, 2007. After a futile trip to the hospital in the morning, we did yardwork and planted mums before we were called back to Mercy to be induced.

September 2, 2007. The annual fantasy football draft at Kyle's house: I brought smoked pork loin, and drafted Joseph Addai with the #6 pick.

If you like the idea, give it a try. You might be surprised at how attainable a daily journal can be, and I think you'll be rewarded by the results over time.

4 Comments:

Blogger jenica said...

Yeah that is a good idea! I like it and may try it... Thanks!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

I love the idea...I just need to make the time.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

Kari: here's what I've found. It really isn't about the time, since you can do it in two minutes.

The biggest roadblock is just remembering to do it. So if you use a journaling book, keep it somewhere (with a pen) where you won't forget.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

I may just have to pick this habit as well... I love looking back and remembering on what the Lord has has done to bring you to where you are now. I also like the blog for that very reason.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home