Smoked Meat
  "Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire..." -- Exodus 12:8
 

Friday, April 14, 2006

Good Friday

It seems appropriate today to pause and think about the last words of Jesus as He suffered on the cross. Each of the seven contains riches of insight into the person and character of our Saviour.

Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.

I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.

Dear woman, here is your son,

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

I am thirsty.

It is finished.

Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.

Lord Jesus, I thank you for being
Forgiveness for the enemy,
Welcome for a thief,
Compassion to a mother,
Forsaken from your Father,
Thirsty for me,
Faithful to the last,
Trusting in death.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have really been intrigued by the festivals instituted by God in Leviticus 23. Each feast gives a clear picture of some part of God's eternal plan for Man through Christ.

Passover Eve celebrated Wednesday was the time when Christ was offered as the lamb of God. Passover day, which began at sundown found Him laid in a grave.

Three days later, sometime after sunset Saturday night, He rose from the grave on the first day of the Feast of Firstfruits.

Seven weeks later on Sunday the day of Pentecost the Holy Spirit was given to the church and 3000 were saved.

Only one lamb could atone for man's sin - Heb 10:12

We bow before Him in humility and thanksgiving for such a great and complete salvation!

8:30 AM  
Blogger jenica said...

Alan - great post for meditation. I posted a response in our discourse on John 2, but your post here prompted me to think again...

The gospel of John seems to link thoughts and concepts by two things: geography and word usage. The saying of Christ "woman, behold your son" is or at least sounds similar to His earlier address in Ch2 "woman, what have I to do with you?". These are the only two addresses or discussion about Mary in the book, so do think there is a thought/concept John is attempting to link? ...just brainstorming here....
andy

6:52 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

Andy -- I left one more follow-up on the John 2 question. Good thoughts there. I am thinking there is some real foreshadowing going on in John 2. Not until you reach the cross do you see the awful reality fully unveiled. It is on Golgotha where the extent of Jesus' sacrifice was made apparent to Mary, and I think John put these two incidents at the beginning and end of the book to show this contrast.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home